Information About Tucson Chapter Meetings
The Tucson Chapter will not be holding a meeting in September — we hope to see you at the 2017 Symposium!
Join the Tucson chapter on June 11 for a presentation by Janine Spencer from the Town of Marana on riparian restoration plans for El Rio Preserve.
7/11/2017 06:00 PM
7/11/2017 8:00 PM
Monthly Chapter Meeting
Marana Riparian Restoration
Montgomery & Associates, 1550 E Prince Rd
- Date: Tuesday, July 11
- Time: Social half hour at 6:00 pm; presentation at 6:30 pm
- Place: Montgomery & Associates, 1550 E Prince Rd [MAP]
- Cost: Free; drinks and snacks provided
Abstract: Riparian Restoration Plans for El Rio Preserve
The Town of Marana is moving forward with riparian restoration plans for El Rio Preserve, located on the west bank of the Santa Cruz River. This area currently holds water intermittently and is dominated by invasive species, but it is a haven for birds: 224 species have been recorded there to date, including some rarities. Future plans for improvements to the Preserve includes bank protection or a bioengineered structure, lined ponds with recirculating water and a connecting arroyo between the ponds. Some invasive species will be removed and replaced with natives and there will be a maintained path through the site for pedestrians.
Speaker: Janine Spencer, Town of Marana
Janine Spencer is currently employed as an Environmental Projects Manager for the Town of Marana. She has worked in Arizona for over 30 years as a wildlife biologist and has a master’s degree in wildlife management.
- September 2017: No meeting — join us in Flagstaff for the annual AHS Symposium!
- October 2017: No meeting
- November 2017: John Kmiec, Director of Marana Water and President of the Southern Arizona Water Users Association, will give a presentation on emerging contaminants.
- December 2017: Gary Woodard of Montgomery & Associates will present “The Evolution of Conservation: From Slogans and Give-aways to Data-Driven Planning.”
News from the Tucson Chapter
- Congratulations to Our 2017 Intern Scholars (7/20/2017)
- Tucson Water Promotions (4/14/2017)
- 2016 Leonard Halpenny Intern Recap (2/27/2017)
- 2016 Halpenny Scholar Announced (5/4/2016)
- The Southern Arizona Science & Engineering Fair Results (3/28/2016)
- Tucson Chapter February Meeting Summary: Glen Canyon Talk! (3/7/2016)
- Announcing the 2016 Leonard Halpenny Intern Scholarship (2/2/2016)
- Results of Chapter Officer Elections (12/2/2015)