Information About Phoenix Chapter Meetings
- Date: June 14
- Time: 5:30-6:00 PM, happy hour; 6:00-8:00 PM, dinner and meeting
- Place: Bluewater Grill, 1720 E Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85016 [map]
- Cost: $25 regular, $20 government, free for students, $25 for student sponsorship*
- RSVP: Beth Proffitt or REGISTER ONLINE*
* If you are paying online and sponsoring a student, please enter “student” and “sponsor” in the first and last name fields during the checkout process.
Abstract: An Isoscape for Groundwater in the Alluvial Basins of Arizona
Plots of δD vs. δ18O for groundwater from alluvial basins in Arizona form four characteristic patterns:
- Pattern 1—Evaporation trends originating near (δ18O, δD) = (-11.2, -74), characteristic of northern and northwestern Arizona
- Pattern 2—Linear or elliptical data clusters plotting just below local meteoric water lines, characteristic of central and southern Arizona
- Pattern 3—Evaporation trends of major rivers, where such rivers are present
- Pattern 4—Pattern 2 superimposed on pattern 1
The spatial distribution of patterns 1 and 2 imply major differences in the recharge mechanism between southeastern and northwestern Arizona. These differences are related to the presence/absence of isotope altitude effects, the seasonal behavior of runoff and infiltration, and the presence/absence of a small isotope effect associated with monthly rainfall intensity.
Speaker: Dr. Chris Eastoe, UA (Retired)
Chris Eastoe retired from the University of Arizona, Department of Geosciences, in 2015. He coordinated the Environmental Isotope Laboratory and the Radiocarbon Laboratory. His research interests include the application of isotope measurements to a variety of topics in earth sciences, including groundwater, the atmosphere, evaporites and mineral deposits. In retirement, he is collaborating with colleagues in Mexico, China, and India, and doing his best to catch up on publishing some interesting data.
If you would like to do a presentation at a future Phoenix Chapter meeting or if you know someone else who could use an audience, please contact Stephen Flora.
News from the Phoenix Chapter
- Craft Beer Tasting to Benefit Bouwer Intern Scholarship! (3/23/2017)
- Sponsor the AHS Phoenix Chapter’s Craft Beer Tasting! (3/23/2017)
- Judges Needed for AzSEF! (3/13/2017)
- 11th Annual AEG Student Night 2017 (3/9/2017)
- Recap from Our 2016 Herman Bouwer Intern Scholar, Clinton Laulo (10/16/2016)
- Recap of Tap to Top: Restoring Arizona’s Forests (8/1/2016)
- My Experience as a Herman Bouwer Intern Scholar (12/4/2015)
- Results of Chapter Officer Elections (12/2/2015)